Italian Beans and Pasta
"This hearty recipe calls for convenient pantry items, so it's extremely easy to prepare," writes Judy Henfey of Austin, Texas. "It's best served with warm bread on a cool, crisp day."
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 jar (14 ounces) spaghetti sauce
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- Pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt or garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- Hot cooked pasta
- In a large saucepan, combine the tomatoes, beans, spaghetti sauce,
- celery, onion and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover
- and simmer for 2 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Serve over
- pasta. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (prepared with garlic powder and no-salt-added stewed tomatoes; calculated without pasta) equals 205 calories, 3 g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 360 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 8 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.