Inside-Out Brussels Sprouts
Meet the Cook: There were seven of us children when I was a girl, and I was the second oldest. I began cooking as soon as I could reach the stove and stir a pot.
I'm a widow, so I usually make this for large gatherings. It's so quick and easy. The recipe was given to me when my husband and I were caring for foster children who enjoyed beef dishes. I've been fixing it ever since.
8-10 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked instant rice
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen brussels sprouts
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients and mix well.
- Shape a scant 1/4 cupful around each frozen brussels sprout to form
- a meatball.
- Place in an ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking dish. Combine
- tomato sauce, water and thyme; pour over meatballs. Cover and bake
- at 350° for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until meatballs are cooked
- through. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 276 calories, 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 103 mg cholesterol, 527 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 22 g protein.