Iced Cinnamon Biscuits
In Grand Valley, Ontario, Wendy Masters serves these biscuits oven-fresh for breakfast or brunch. "They are wonderfully light and have an appealing cinnamon flavor," she says. "The plump raisins and simple icing add the right touch of sweetness."
12 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 teaspoons milk
- In a bowl, combine the first six ingredients; cut in shortening until
- mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in raisins. Add buttermilk;
- stir just until moistened. Turn onto a lightly floured surface;
- knead 4-5 times. Roll to 1/2-in. thickness; cut with a 2-1/2-in.
- biscuit cutter. Place with sides barely touching on a greased baking
- sheet. Bake at 425° for 12-17 minutes or until golden brown.
- Combine the icing ingredients; drizzle over biscuits. Serve warm.
- Yield: about 1 dozen.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 179 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 340 mg sodium,