These lacy-looking candles are easy to make using wax and candle dye...or even old candles! They take a few days to dry so make them well in advance of your party.
- Wash and dry the inside of wax-coated paper cartons. (We used half-pint milk cartons and 64-ounce juice cartons.) Place on a cookie sheet.
- In a double boiler over low heat, melt clear wax and add candle dye in the color of your choice. (You can also melt candles in the color of your choice; remove and discard the wicks.)
- Estimate how much wax you'll need to fill each carton half full. Having too much wax is better than not having enough.
- Add a few drops of melted wax to the bottom of a carton. Immediately place a taper candle in the color of your choice into the wax. Let the wax set.
- Fill the carton half full with pieces of ice in different sizes and shapes. Pour enough melted wax into the carton to cover the ice.
- Let stand until the wax is hardened and the ice is melted. Pour out the water; carefully tear the carton away. Let the candle stand a few days to dry completely before using.
- Be sure to place the lighted candle on a holder to collect the wax as it melts.