Hot Tomato Drink
This recipe came from a friend at least 25 years ago. It is simple to make and keeps well in the refrigerator. It is a big hit with men and women as well as children.
3 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 6 whole cloves
- In a large saucepan, combine the first eight ingredients. Place
- cloves on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of
- cloth and tie with string to form a bag.
- Add spice bag to saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and
- simmer for 10 minutes. Discard spice bag. Stir before serving.
- Yield: 3 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 cup equals 96 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 694 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable.