Hot Tamale Meatballs
"This zippy appetizer is my family's favorite dish using cumin," reports Darlene Babineaux of Arabi, Louisiana.
8-10 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 4 cups tomato juice, divided
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin, divided
- 2 tablespoons chili powder, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
- In a small bowl, combine 1/3 cup tomato juice, cornmeal, 1 tablespoon
- cumin, 1 tablespoon chili powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt, garlic and
- cayenne. Add the beef and sausage and mix well. Shape into 1-1/4-in.
- In a dutch oven, combine the remaining tomato juice, cumin, chili
- powder and salt; bring to a boil. Add meatballs; cover and simmer
- for 45 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 8-10
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 156 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 650 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 8 g protein.