Hot Spiced Cider
Next time you're entertaining, stir up a batch of this nicely spiced cider from field editor Kim Wallace of Dover, Ohio. The wonderful aroma will make your guests feel welcome on a chilly day.
20 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 gallon apple cider or apple juice
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 2 teaspoons whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon whole allspice
- In a Dutch oven, combine the first five ingredients. Place the
- cinnamon sticks, cloves and allspice on a double thickness of
- cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with string to form a
- bag. Add to the pan. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat for 10-15
- minutes or until flavors are blended (do not boil). Discard spice
- bag. Yield: 4-1/2 quarts.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 113 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 20 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, trace protein.