Hot Potato Salad for 100
When I was in the service, I decided to learn all I could about cooking from the cooks in the galley. It was quite an adventure. I still use those skills today, particulary when cooking for a large group.—Jene Cain, Northridge, California
100 ServingsPrep: 2 hours Cook: 30 min.
- 7 pounds bacon, chopped
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 14 cups white vinegar
- 14 cups water
- 6 cups sugar
- 1 cup salt
- 4 teaspoons pepper
- 14 cups chopped onions (about 4-1/2 pounds)
- 6 cups chopped dill pickles
- 7 gallons hot cooked sliced peeled potatoes (about 45 pounds)
- In several large skillets, fry bacon until crisp; remove to paper
- towels to drain. Add flour to drippings; cook and stir until bubbly.
- In a large kettle, combine the vinegar, water and sugar; bring to a
- boil. Gradually whisk in flour mixture; cook and stir for 2 minutes
- or until thickened. Stir in the salt, pepper, onion and pickles.
- Place hot potatoes in serving pans. Divide sauce among pans and stir
- to coat. Sprinkle with bacon. Yield: 100 servings (1 cup each).
Nutrition Facts: 1 cup equals 408 calories, 19 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 21 mg cholesterol, 1,483 mg sodium, 54 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 7 g protein.