Hot Italian Sausage Soup
Loaded with zesty sausage and an array of veggies, this soup will hit the spot! A hint of brown sugar balances the heat with a little sweetness, making it a real crowd-pleaser. “I'm part owner of a small tavern, and on Saturdays, we provide soups and deli sandwiches free of charge. Our patrons love this recipe,” writes Dan Bute of Ottawa, Illinois.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 pound bulk hot Johnsonville® Ground Sausage
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup frozen Italian vegetables
- 3/4 cup julienned green, sweet red and/or yellow pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or
- until vegetables are tender.
- Drain sausage; add to soup and heat through. Yield: 4 servings.
Wine: Full-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.