Hot German Potato Salad
In Delano, Minnesota, Marlene Muckenhirn makes these zesty salad with potatoes, celery and onion. It's a terrific side dish when served warm with crumbled bacon and fresh parsley sprinkled on top.
8-10 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the potatoes, celery and onion. In a
- small bowl, combine water, vinegar, sugar, tapioca, salt, celery
- seed and pepper. Pour over potatoes; stir gently to coat.
- Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours or until potatoes are tender.
- Just before serving, sprinkle with bacon and parsley. Yield: 8-10
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 165 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 309 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.