This is a quick and easy side dish that will become a favorite of your family.Anne Creech, Kinston, North Carolina
4-6 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped green or sweet red pepper
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 6 green onions, sliced
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 2 cups water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can (15 ounces) black-eyed peas, drained
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a
- slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 2
- tablespoons drippings. Saute the pepper, celery and onions in
- drippings until almost tender. Add the rice, water and seasonings.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add peas and bacon; cook for 10
- minutes. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 385 calories, 22 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 25 mg cholesterol, 433 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 9 g protein.