Honey White Loaves
When I was searching for a moist bread that wouldn't crumble when thinly sliced, a friend urged me to try her grandmother's age-old recipe. It slices perfectly.
36 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 8 to 9 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the butter, honey,
- eggs, salt and 4 cups flour. Beat on medium for 3 minutes. Stir in
- enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about
- 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; shape into loaves. Place in three greased 8-in. x
- 4-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from
- pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 3 loaves (12 slices each).
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 107 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 170 mg sodium,