When we left Texas to head north, a neighbor gave me pecans from his trees. I’m happy to send these nutty squares back to him, and he’s happy to get them. —Lorraine Caland, Shuniah, Ontario
24 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chopped pecans, toasted
- 1/2 teaspoon maple flavoring or vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 50°. Line a 13x9-in. baking pan with parchment
- paper, letting ends extend up sides of pan. In a large bowl, cream
- the butter, brown sugar and salt until light and fluffy. Gradually
- beat in flour. Press into prepared pan. Bake 16-20 minutes or until
- lightly browned.
- In a small saucepan, combine the first six filling ingredients; bring
- to a boil. Cook 1 minute. Remove from the heat; stir in pecans and
- maple flavoring. Pour over crust.
- Bake 10-15 minutes or until bubbly. Cool in pan on a wire rack.