Honey-Mustard Root Salad
"When I discovered I didn't have enough carrots for a shredded carrot salad, I improvised by adding parsnips, a leek and red pepper," writes Carolyn Smith, Kalamazoo, Michigan. "Since this dish travels well, I took it to a holiday dinner. Now, the first thing I hear when I walk in the door at family gatherings is, "Did you bring the salad?'"
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 10 min. + chilling
- 1 large leek (white portion only), cut into thin strips
- 2 teaspoons plus 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2-1/2 cups shredded parsnips (about 5 medium)
- 2-1/2 cups shredded carrot (about 5 medium)
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute leek in 2 teaspoons oil for 4
- minutes. Add the parsnips, carrots and red pepper; saute 5-7 minutes
- longer or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Transfer to a large
- In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the vinegar, mustard,
- honey, salt and remaining oil; shake well. Pour over vegetables and
- toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before
- serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving (1/2 cup) equals 101 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 271 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat.