Honey-Lime Roasted Chicken
It's hard to believe this finger-licking main course starts with only five ingredients. "The chicken is easy, light and so good," promises Springfield, Vermont's Lori Carbonell. "It's just as tasty prepared outside on the grill."
10 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 2-1/2 hours + standing
- 1 whole roasting chicken (5 to 6 pounds)
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon stone-ground mustard or spicy brown mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Carefully loosen the skin from the entire chicken. Place breast side
- up on a rack in a roasting pan. In a small bowl, whisk the lime
- juice, honey, mustard and cumin.
- Using a turkey baster, baste under the chicken skin with 1/3 cup lime
- juice mixture. Tie drumsticks together. Pour remaining lime juice
- mixture over chicken.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until a meat
- thermometer reads 180°, basting every 30 minutes with drippings
- (cover loosely with foil after 1 to 1-1/2 hours or when golden
- brown). Let stand for 10 minutes before carving. Remove and discard
- skin before serving. Yield: 10 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 3 ounces cooked chicken equals 197 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 77 mg cholesterol, 95 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 25 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1/2 starch.