Homemade Turkey Stock
I remember my mother making this homemade stock after every Thanksgiving. It is wonderful adding it to soup and freezes well to use at any time.Angela Goodman, Kaneohe, Hawaii
14 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 1 hour 50 min.
- 1 leftover turkey carcass (from a 12- to 14-pound turkey)
- 4 quarts water
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh basil
- 1 sprig fresh parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Place all ingredients in a stockpot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat;
- cover and simmer 1-1/2 hours.
- Discard turkey carcass. Cool broth 1 hour. Strain through a
- cheesecloth-lined colander; discard vegetables and herbs. If using
- immediately, skim fat from broth; or refrigerate 8 hours or
- overnight, then remove fat from surface. Broth can be frozen up to
- 2-3 months. Yield: 3-1/2 quarts.
Nutrition Facts: 1 cup equals 29 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 17 mg sodium, 2 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.