"You can make pudding with this handy mix in no time," says field editor Margery Bryan of Royal City, Washington.
16 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling
- PUDDING MIX:
- 2-3/4 cups nonfat dry milk powder
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/4 cups milk or water
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Combine pudding mix ingredients; store in an airtight container. For
- pudding, combine 1-1/4 cups mix and milk in a 2-qt. saucepan. Bring
- to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally; boil for 1
- minute. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount into egg; return
- to pan. Cook and stir over medium heat for 2 minutes. Remove from
- the heat; add butter and vanilla. Mix well. Pour into dishes; cover
- and chill 2-3 hours. Yield: 4-5 servings (4 cups mix).
For chocolate pudding: Add 3 tablespoons baking cocoa to 1-1/4 cups pudding mix before mixing with milk.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 211 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 62 mg cholesterol, 297 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 9 g protein.