Homemade Kielbasa Bean Soup
LaVerne Brandmeyer of San Antonio, Texas shares this satisfying soup that's full of good-for-you ingredients, such as potatoes, cabbage and carrots. Simmer up a batch on a cold winter day.
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 pound smoked turkey kielbasa or turkey sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup sliced fresh carrots
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in butter until tender.
- Stir in broth and potato. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and
- simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients. Return to a boil. Reduce heat;
- cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Nutrition Facts: One serving (1 cup) equals 147 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 694 mg sodium,