Homemade Italian Turkey Sausage
Pens Joyce Haworth from Des Plaines, Illinois, "When the stores in my area stopped carrying our favorite turkey sausage, I was desperate! I went to the library for some books on sausage-making...and was surprised to learn how easy it is! We use this sweet spicy sausage on pizza, in spaghetti sauce, casseroles and breakfast patties."
8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + chilling Cook: 10 min.
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons fennel seed, crushed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a bowl, combine the turkey, garlic powder, fennel seed, sugar,
- salt, oregano and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours
- or overnight. Shape into eight patties. Cook in a nonstick skillet
- coated with cooking spray for about 3 minutes on each side or until
- a meat thermometer reads 165°. Or crumble turkey into a nonstick
- skillet coated with cooking spray. Cook and stir for about 4 minutes
- or until meat is no longer pink. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving (1 patty or 1/4 cup of crumbles) equals 92 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 45 mg cholesterol, 347 mg sodium, 2 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 10 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 2 lean meat.