"For variations of this favorite holiday beverage, I sometimes stir in vanilla or 1-1/2 cups of strong coffee. Whipped cream is a pretty garnish, so are chocolate curls or cinnamon sticks."
10 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min. + chilling
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 cups milk, divided
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the eggs, sugar, 1 cup milk and 1
- cup cream. Cook and stir over medium heat for about 25 minutes or
- until a thermometer reads 160° or is thick enough to coat the
- back of a metal spoon.
- Pour into a large bowl; stir in nutmeg and the remaining milk and
- cream. Place bowl in an ice-water bath; stir frequently until
- mixture is cool. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours before
- Yield: 2 quarts.