Homemade Chicken Broth
Rich in chicken flavor, this traditional broth is lightly seasoned with herbs. Besides making wonderful chicken soups, it can be used in casseroles, rice dishes and other recipes that call for chicken broth.
6 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 2-1/2 hours + chilling
- 2-1/2 pounds bony chicken pieces
- 2 celery ribs with leaves, cut into chunks
- 2 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 2 medium onions, quartered
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 8 to 10 whole peppercorns
- 2 quarts cold water
- Place all ingredients in a soup kettle or Dutch oven. Slowly bring to
- a boil; reduce heat. Skim foam. Cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- Set chicken aside until cool enough to handle. Remove meat from
- bones. Discard bones; save meat for another use. Strain broth,
- discarding vegetables and seasonings. Refrigerate for 8 hours or
- overnight. Skim fat from surface. Yield: about 6 cups.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 245 calories, 14 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 61 mg cholesterol, 80 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 21 g protein.