Homemade Barbecue Potato Chips
Crispy with a spicy kick, these thin chips from our Test Kitchen complement sandwiches, burgers, soups and more. Or snack on them with your favorite beverage.
6 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + soaking Cook: 5 min./batch
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground mustard
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1 large potato, peeled
- 4 cups ice water
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In a small bowl, combine the first seven ingredients; set aside.
- Using a vegetable peeler, cut potato into very thin slices. Place in
- a large bowl; add ice water. Soak for 30 minutes.
- Drain potato; place on paper towels and pat dry. In an electric
- skillet, heat 1-1/2 in. of oil to 375°. Fry potato slices in
- batches for 1-2 minutes or until golden brown, turning once. Remove
- with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Immediately sprinkle
- with seasoning mixture. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 4-1/2
Nutrition Facts: 3/4 cup equals 112 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 156 mg sodium,