Home-Style Scalloped Potatoes
The secret to a good scalloped potato dish is to make sure it has plenty of creamy sauce, which this recipe has. My husband and sons rate this simply delicious potato casserole the "best ever" and request it often.Christine Eilers, Tulsa, Oklahoma
8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 5 cups milk
- 6 cups thinly sliced potatoes
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the
- flour, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually add milk. Bring to a
- boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until sauce is thickened.
- Place half of potatoes in a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Pour half of
- sauce over potatoes. Repeat layers. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for
- 60-70 minutes or until potatoes are tender and top is lightly
- browned. Serve immediately. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 245 calories, 12 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 40 mg cholesterol, 925 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 7 g protein.