Home-Style Potato Soup
I experimented with our family soup recipe until I came up wit this version. The mashed potato flakes provide a flavorful thickening agent, and the bacon adds color and lots of flavor.
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 2 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup mashed potato flakes
- 1 ounce process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1 bacon strip, cooked and crumbled
- In a small saucepan, saute onion and celery in oil until tender. Add
- the potatoes, water, bouillon, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until potatoes
- are tender.
- Stir in milk and potato flakes; cook and stir 8 minutes longer. Stir
- in cheese until melted. Sprinkle servings with bacon. Yield: 2
Nutrition Facts: 1-1/3 cups equals 287 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 889 mg sodium,