Holiday Wild Rice
Wild rice mix gets a boost of seasonal color from red pepper and green onions in this side dish from Diane Dalovisio of Lake Charles, Louisiana. "It's my husband's favorites," she writes.
10 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 3 tablespoons chopped onion
- 3 tablespoon chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 packages (6 ounces each) long grain and wild rice mix
- 2-1/3 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- Dash cayenne pepper
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion, red pepper and green onions in
- oil until tender. Stir in the rice mixes with contents of seasoning
- packets, water, broth and cayenne. bring to a boil. Reduce heat;
- cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the rice is tender and
- liquid is absorbed. Yield: 10 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 99 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 377 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.