At Wendy Masters' Grand Valley, Ontario home, it just wouldn't' be Christmas if she didn't make her great-grandmother's shortbread. "Everyone looks forward to it," she says. "All I do differently is sprinkle colored sugar on mine."
42 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min./batch
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- Colored sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat
- in vanilla. Gradually add flour; mix until dough forms a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut
- into 1-1/2-in. squares, diamonds and/or triangles. Place on
- ungreased baking sheets; sprinkle with colored sugar if desired.
- Bake at 325° for 14-18 minutes or until edges are lightly
- browned. Cool on wire racks. Yield: about 3-1/2 dozen.
Nutrition Facts: 1 cookie equals 138 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 62 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch.