I was looking for an attractive holiday dish that didn't repeat the red of beets, the orange of yams or the green of broccoli. So I developed this one, featuring the glow of golden hominy.
12-14 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons coarsely ground pepper
- 2 cups cubed process cheese (Velveeta)
- 5 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) yellow hominy, drained
- In a large saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour until smooth.
- Gradually add milk, seasoned salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook
- and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cheese until
- melted. Place hominy in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Pour
- cheese sauce over hominy. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25
- minutes. Sprinkle with paprika. Bake 10 minutes longer or until
- heated through. Yield: 12-14 servings.