Even though most people can't snag a ticket to the glamorous Academy Awards show, they can roll out the red carpet at their own front door by throwing an Oscar-viewing party.
Here are a few tips for throwing a Hollywood-style event:
- Choose a themed menu based on your favorite nominated movie to serve your guests before or during the show.
- When sending out invitations, add a little glamour to your party by requesting that your guests dress up for the event as if they are actually attending the awards. If children will be attending the party, have them dress in their Sunday best or favorite "dress up" outfit.
- Pull out all of the stops. Serve the meal on your best china. (Why not? When do you get the opportunity to use it anyhow?) Uncork a bottle of champagne. Decorate with gold, silver or other metallic objects—for extra impact place those shiny objects on top of mirrors.
- Download ballots with all of the nominees from Oscars.com. At the end of the party, give a prize to the guest who picked the most award-winners. A basket of chocolates or movie tickets make good prizes.
- Serve popcorn during the show to create a movie theater atmosphere.
Oscar Party Recipes
Our home economists give bubbly Champagne a fruity punch with pomegranate juice and raspberry and orange liqueur in this Red Carpet-tini.
—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
We're going to make you an offer you can't refuse: Spend just a few minutes in the kitchen to serve up an elegant, restaurant-quality appetizer that's a fun twist on BLT's. You can't go wrong with this Godfather Crostini. Capiche?
—Kendra Allanson, Front Royal, Virginia
Buffalo Ranch Popcorn
This zippy Buffalo Ranch Popcorn blend is sure to spice up your favorite snack. It's perfect for a movie night.
—Joyce McCarthy, Sussex, Wisconsin
Smoked Salmon-Dijon Creme Fraiche Canapes
These little Smoked Salmon-Dijon Creme Fraiche Canapes look so elegant, yet take no time at all to whip up.
Gladiator Chicken Skewers
A mild, creamy sauce with hints of cilantro and lime balances the cayenne kick in these hearty Gladiator Chicken Skewers. Serve with extra napkins to help little gladiators keep their party clothes clean.
—Susan Seymour, Valatie, New York
The perfect signature drink for your soiree, this American Beauty recipe is surprisingly smooth, so it'll go down easy. But be careful: Too many of these and you'll go from American Beauty to Sleeping Beauty!
—Simple & Delicious Test Kitchen
Gump's Shrimp & Grits
As Forrest Gump would say, shrimp and grits go together like peas and carrots in this Gump's Shrimp & Grits appetizer. You'll love the rich sauce, the hint of heat and the refreshing citrus flavor.
—Gene Peters, Edwardsville, Illinois
Greek Islands Steak Salad
I invented this Greek Islands Steak Salad recipe while watching a movie set on the Greek islands. I like the combination of warm grilled steak and sauteed mushrooms with cold salad ingredients.
—Chris Wells, Lake Villa, Illinois
You'll feel like Ratatouille's great chef, Remy, when you serve this veggie-packed dish party guests will rave about. Don't let the ingredient list fool you: Pantry staples and an easy-cook method make this Sausage Ratatouille recipe a cinch.
—Janine Freeman, Blaine, Washington
Genrose's Stuffed Beef Tenderloin
We've belonged to the same supper club for 45 years. This flavorful, elegant stuffed Genrose's Stuffed Beef Tenderloin recipe steals the show!
—Katie Whitworth, Lexington, Kentucky
You will feel like movie stars when you sip these fancy Apple Martinis. Your guests will be impressed when you garnish each pretty drink with a green apple slice.
—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Key Lime Mousse Cups
Light, lovely and laced with a splash of tart key lime juice, these fancy little phyllo Key Lime Mousse Cups are so refreshing served as an after-dinner dessert treat…and they take just minutes to whip up!
—Suzanne Pauley, Renton, Washington
Dress up special occasions by serving these high-fashion fruit treats! The Tuxedo Strawberries are easy to decorate, and folks love them.
—Gisella Sellers, Seminole, Florida
A sophisticated drink for a ritzy party. For fewer calories and less sugar, try this Cosmopolitan recipe with Ocean Spray's Light or Diet Juice Drinks. Or put an energizing twist on it by using one of Ocean Spray's Cranergy® Energy Juice Drinks.
—Recipe Provided by Ocean Spray®