Hidden Treasure Cupcakes
Let kids discover the “hidden treasure” inside these cute-as-can-be cupcakes! They’re make-ahead convenient, ensure even-steven portions of cake for all party guests and are almost too pretty to eat!
Simple & Delicious Test Kitchen
24 ServingsPrep: 1 hour Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1/4 cup strawberry pie filling
- 24 Swiss cake rolls
- 1 can (16 ounces) vanilla frosting
- Blue food coloring, optional
- Assorted candies: Jolly Ranchers, Nerds, skull and fish hard candies
- Yellow food coloring, optional
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Fill paper-lined
- muffin cups half full. Drop 1/2 teaspoon pie filling in the center
- of each; top with remaining batter.
- Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in
- the cake portion comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before
- removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, cut cake rolls lengthwise (do not cut through); set aside.
- Place two tablespoons frosting in a small bowl; set aside. Tint
- remaining frosting with blue food coloring if desired; frost
- Place a cake roll on each cupcake. Decorate with assorted candies.
- Tint reserved frosting with yellow food coloring if desired; place
- in a resealable plastic bag. Cut a small hole in a corner of bag;
- pipe latches onto chests.
- Yield: 24 servings.