Hearty Split Pea Soup
We started a 39-day Soup Challenge to eat healthier after the holidays, figuring if “Survivor” contestants could last 39 days on little food, surely we could survive on soup! This was a family favorite—chunky, hearty and smooth. —Debra Keil, Owasso, Oklahoma
6 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Cook: 7 hours
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped fresh carrots
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 package (16 ounces) dried green split peas, rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 6 ounces Canadian bacon, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, saute the onion, celery and carrots in oil until
- tender. Add thyme; cook 1 minute longer.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add the peas, broth and water. Cover
- and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until peas are tender.
- Cool slightly. In a blender, process half of the soup until smooth.
- Return all to the slow cooker. Add bacon and pepper; heat through.
- Yield: 6 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
Nutrition Facts: 1-1/2 cups equals 363 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 945 mg sodium, 53 g carbohydrate, 21 g fiber, 24 g protein.