Hearty Split Pea Soup
For a different spin of traditional split pea soup, try this recipe. The flavor is peppery rather than smoky, and the corned beef is an unexpected, tasty change of pace.
12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 1-1/4 hours
- 1 package (16 ounces) dried split peas
- 8 cups water
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 cups cubed cooked corned beef or ham
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 5 teaspoons low-sodium chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt-free seasoning blend
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, combine all ingredients; bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or
- until peas and vegetables are tender. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Nutrition Facts: 1 cup equals 278 calories, 8 g fat (0 saturated fat), 39 mg cholesterol, 495 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 11 g fiber, 19 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.