Hearty Split Pea Soup
"This slow-cooker soup is one of my favorite meals to make during a busy workweek," pens Deanna Waggy of South Bend, Indiana. "When I get home, I just add the milk...and supper is served!"
9 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 1 package (16 ounces) dried split peas
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 5 cups boiling water
- 1 cup hot milk
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, layer the first nine ingredients in order
- listed (do not stir). Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours or until
- vegetables are tender. Stir in milk. Discard bay leaves before
- serving. Yield: 9 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving (1 cup) equals 214 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 542 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 11 g fiber, 17 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.