Hearty Rye Melts
When we moved from the Midwest to Kentucky, we were invited to a neighborhood gathering, where this appetizer was served. “Hanky panky”—as it’s often called around here—is traditionally served at Derby Day parties, but at our home it’s become a year-round favorite.
12 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- In a large skillet, cook the beef and sausage over medium heat until
- no longer pink; drain. Add chili powder and cheese; cook and stir
- until cheese is melted. Spread a heaping tablespoonful onto each
- slice of bread. Place on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until edges of bread begin to
- crisp. Garnish with parsley. Serve warm. Yield: 2 dozen.
Nutrition Facts: 2 each equals 167 calories, 10 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 34 mg cholesterol, 422 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 10 g protein.