- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute ham and sausage until lightly
- browned. Remove with a slotted spoon to bean mixture. Saute onion
- and celery in drippings until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute
- longer. Add to bean mixture. Stir in tomato sauce and bay leaves.
- Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until beans are tender.
- Discard bay leaves. Measure 2 cups of beans; mash and return to the
- bean mixture. Stir in the parsley, salt and pepper. Serve over rice.
- Yield: 8-10 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 cup (calculated without rice) equals 276 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 1,149 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 18 g protein.