Hearty Red Beans & Rice
“My husband loves this quick and filling entree.” The entire family will gobble this one right up! Sherri Miller - Greencastle, Indiana
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound bulk Johnsonville® Ground Sausage
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Hot cooked rice
- In a Dutch oven, cook the sausage, green pepper, onion and garlic
- over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the beans,
- soup, salsa and Italian seasoning; heat through.
- Serve immediately with rice or cool and freeze in a freezer container
- for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen red bean mixture : Thaw in the refrigerator. Transfer
- to a large saucepan; heat through. Serve with rice. Yield: 6
Nutrition Facts: 1 cup sausage mixture with 1/2 cup rice equals 403 calories, 10 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 1,031 mg sodium, 57 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 19 g protein.