Hearty Quinoa & Corn Chowder
My grandmother lived in the Appalachian Mountains and always served straight-from-the-garden corn and beans. I updated her dish with quinoa and herbs. — Kari Napier, Louisville, Kentucky
14 ServingsPrep: 25 min. + standing Cook: 15 min.
- 3 medium sweet red peppers
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 6 medium ears sweet corn, kernels removed (about 4 cups) or 2 packages (10 ounces) frozen corn, thawed
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Broil peppers 4 in. from the heat until skins blister, about 5
- minutes. With tongs, rotate peppers a quarter turn. Broil and rotate
- until all sides are blistered and blackened. Immediately place
- peppers in a large bowl; cover and let stand for 20 minutes.
- Peel off and discard charred skin. Remove stems and seeds. Finely
- chop peppers.