Hearty Italian Soup
Macaroni and Italian sausage makes this tomato-veggie soup thick and hearty. “It offers a nice change of pace from my chili recipe,” notes Robin Sabrowsky of Plymouth, Wisconsin.
4 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 Johnsonville® Mild Italian Sausage link, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/3 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large saucepan, cook the sausage, onion and green pepper until
- sausage is browned; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, water, tomato
- sauce, sugar, bouillon and garlic powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce
- heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in macaroni. Cover and simmer 10-15 minutes longer or until
- macaroni is tender. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 cup (prepared with Italian turkey sausage and reduced-sodium bouillon) equals 140 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 898 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 8 g protein.