Hearty Ham and Cabbage Chowder
Ketchup and brown sugar add an appealing sweetness to this chowder. I make this frequently throughout the year, but my family especially looks forward to it on a winter evenings.
11 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 1 hour 35 min.
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 cups (1 pound) cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) whole potatoes, drained and quartered
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed chicken broth, undiluted
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- In a Dutch oven or large soup kettle, saute celery, onion and garlic
- in oil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add remaining
- ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for
- 1-1/2 hours or until heated through. Yield: 8-10 servings (2-3/4
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 171 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 922 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 8 g protein.