Hearty Ham Loaf
"THIS is a recipe that comes from my father's side of the family. It's a simple dish to make, good for just about any occasion. The sauce makes the meat especially flavorful. For me, this recipe brings back all kinds of memories of my childhood days in Nebraska. I hope you'll enjoy it in your home over and over again, so it can create some memories for you as well."
10-12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour 20 min.
- 1 cup coarsely crushed saltines (about 22 crackers)
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds ground ham
- 1 pound ground pork
- BASTING SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 2-1/2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- In a large bowl, combine the crackers, milk, eggs and pepper. Crumble
- ham and pork over mixture and mix well. Press into an 8-in. x 4-in.
- loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 1 hour 20 minutes or until a meat
- thermometer reads 160°.
- Meanwhile, combine the sauce ingredients in a small saucepan; bring
- to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes. Baste loaf occasionally after first
- 10 minutes of baking. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 301 calories, 18 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 95 mg cholesterol, 836 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 20 g protein.