Hearty Ground Beef Salad
In Wexford, Pennsylvania, Ruth Carter relies on this hearty salad for a quick dinner on busy workdays. “My husband likes the spicy Southwestern flavor and it’s a favorite of mine, too.”
TIP: Try serving this flavorful twist on taco salad rolled up in a flour tortilla topped with guacamole, chopped fresh tomatoes and diced sweet onions.
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- In a skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no
- longer pink; drain. Stir in the kidney beans, V8 juice, chili
- powder, sugar and salt; heat through.
- Divide lettuce between two salad bowls or plates. Top with beef
- mixture. Sprinkle with cheese and olives if desired. Serve with
- tortilla chips if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1-1/2 cups (prepared with reduced-sodium V8 and reduced-fat cheese; calculated without olives or tortilla chips) equals 339 calories, 13 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 57 mg cholesterol, 609 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 30 g protein.