Hearty Egg Casserole
Here in the middle of cattle country, our days always seem to be busy. This dish is true to its nameit's filling and keeps us going all morning. We also like to serve it to guests to give them a taste of true country cooking.
12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 12 eggs
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until
- meat is no longer pink; drain. Remove from the heat; stir in 1 cup
- cheese, spinach and mushrooms. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in.
- baking dish.
- In a bowl, beat eggs. Add cream and nutmeg; mix well. Pour over
- sausage mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 350° or until a knife
- inserted near the center comes out clean. Sprinkle with remaining
- cheese. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 353 calories, 31 g fat (16 g saturated fat), 297 mg cholesterol, 389 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 14 g protein.