Healthy Italian Market Salad
"I found a recipe in the newspaper that sounded great, but the ingredients were too high in fat for us," writes Karen Schmidt of Plymouth, Wisconsin. "So I adapted it and created this salad with good-for-you ingredients like brown rice and turkey pepperoni."
9 ServingsPrep: 25 min. + chilling
- 2 cups cooked brown rice, cooled
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 4 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 medium green pepper, julienned
- 4 ounces sliced turkey pepperoni, quartered
- 1/2 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat Italian salad dressing
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Pour dressing
- over salad; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until
- chilled. Yield: 9 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving (3/4 cup) equals 199 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 36 mg cholesterol, 612 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 13 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Wine: Light-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.