We have several acres of hazelnut trees here in the Willamette Valley, where the climate is perfect for this crop. Harvesttime is a big family event with everyone pitching in to help. I try to incorporate this wonderful flavorful nut into our recipes, and this cookie is always a hit.
-Karen Morrell, Canby, Oregon
36 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min./batch + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or honey
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups finely chopped hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup each white, red, green, yellow and dark chocolate candy coating disks
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add
- syrup and vanilla. Beat in flour just until combined; fold in nuts.
- Shape into two 1-1/2-in. rolls; wrap tightly in waxed paper. Chill
- for 2 hours or until firm.
- Cut into 1/4-in. slices and place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking
- sheets. Bake at 325° for 14-16 minutes or until edges begin to
- brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In separate microwave-safe bowls, melt candy coating disks; stir
- until smooth. Drizzle over cookies. Let stand until set. Yield: 6
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 170 calories, 11 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 75 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.