Hawaiian Ham Sandwiches
I've made these sandwiches many times for family and friends, and they've always been a hit. I often get asked for the recipe. The pineapple is what gives them a Hawaiian flair - we think they're a real treat. I have three grown children and enjoy cooking for them and the grandchildren when they come to visit.
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 8 submarine or hoagie buns (8 inches)
- 8 slices Swiss cheese, halved
- 1/2 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1/2 medium green pepper, julienned
- 6 to 8 green onions, sliced
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 pound sliced fully cooked ham, julienned
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple tidbits, drained
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Cut thin slices off tops of rolls. Hollow out bread in the center,
- leaving 1/4-in. shells; set aside tops and discard hollowed-out
- bread (or save for another use). Place rolls on a baking sheet; line
- the inside of each with Swiss cheese.
- In a large skillet, saute peppers and onions in oil for 3 minutes.
- Add ham; cook for 3 minutes. Add pineapple. Remove from the heat;
- Spoon into rolls. Bake at 450° for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with
- mozzarella cheese; return to the oven until cheese is melted, about
- 1 minute. Replace roll tops. Serve immediately. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 559 calories, 17 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 34 mg cholesterol, 897 mg sodium,