Hash Brown Scalloped Potatoes
I enjoy sharing this recipe that calls for the vegetable that made my state famous. The first time I tasted this casserole was at a church supper. I was determined to find out who made it so I could get the recipe. I found her and she was delighted to give it to me. I've served it often since then.
6-8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1-1/3 cups milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 small green pepper, julienned
- 2 tablespoons diced pimientos, drained
- Dash pepper
- 1 cup crushed cheese crackers, divided
- In a skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the
- potatoes, soup and milk. Add the cheese, green pepper, pimientos,
- pepper and 1/2 cup crumbs.
- Pour into a shallow baking dish; top with remaining crumbs. Bake,
- uncovered, at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until heated through.
- Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 304 calories, 21 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 54 mg cholesterol, 586 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 8 g protein.