Hash Brown Cheese Omelet
In Sheboygan, Wisconsin, Jennifer Reisinger makes a family-pleasing meal out of this fluffy omelet filled with potatoes, onion and green pepper. "Serve it with toast and fruit," she suggests. "It's also good with sliced tomatoes."
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1-3/4 cups frozen cubed hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 2 cups egg substitute
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 slices reduced-fat process American cheese product
- In a large skillet coated with cooking spray, saute onion and green
- pepper. Add potatoes; cook and stir over medium heat for 5 minutes
- or until heated through.
- In a bowl, beat egg substitute, water and pepper; pour over
- vegetables. As eggs set, lift edges, letting uncooked portion flow
- underneath. Just before eggs are completely set, place cheese slices
- over half of the omelet. Fold the omelet in half and transfer to a
- warm serving platter. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving equals 239 calories, 7 g fat (0 saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 457 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 21 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch.