Harvest Squash Soup
This soup is perfect for a group after an autumn outing. The combination of squash, applesauce and spices gives it an appealing flavor.
10 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 cups mashed cooked butternut squash
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven, saute onions in oil until tender. Add the remaining
- ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30
- minutes. Discard bay leaf before serving. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2
Nutrition Facts: One 1-cup serving (prepared with low-sodium broth and skim milk and without salt) equals 113 calories, 2 g fat (0 saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 60 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable.