- Beat sugar, shortening and eggs in large bowl on medium speed of an
- electric mixer until creamy. Mix in pumpkin and salt. Combine flour,
- baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg in small
- bowl. Add to pumpkin mixture gradually, beating at low speed after
- each addition just until mixed. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour into
- prepared pan.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out
- clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan. Invert cake on wire
- rack. Turn cake top side up. Cool completely. Place cake on serving
- Beat maple syrup, shortening, butter and salt in medium bowl with
- fork until blended. Mix in powdered sugar gradually, beating with
- spoon until creamy. Frost top of cake. Sprinkle with additional
- chocolate chips. Yield: 9 to 12 servings.
TIP Add 2 tablespoons water to pumpkin if using canned pumpkin.
Wine: Light-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.