A colorful and nourishing addition to any autumn table, this quick and simple dish from Stella Quade of Carthage, Missouri makes a classic side for many meat entrees.
TIP: Save the greens from fresh beets and turnips. They're delicious and add extra nutrition to soups and stews.
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup sliced fresh beets
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons butter
- Place beets in a small saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender.
- Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon cooking liquid; set beets aside.
- In the same pan, combine the sugar, flour, vinegar and reserved
- liquid. Cook over low heat until thickened. Stir in the beets, salt
- and butter. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5
- minutes. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1/2 cup equals 115 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 239 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.