Hamburger Noodle Bake
I first started making this in the 1950's when I needed to feed many mouths on a budget. My husband and I are empty nesters now and I've had a hard time cutting back on serving sizes. It's a good thing my husband likes leftovers.Alice Marie Caldera, Tuolumne, California
12 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (16 ounces) elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup (4 ounces) process cheese (Velveeta)
- In a skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no
- longer pink; drain. Stir in salt, chili powder and pepper.
- Place macaroni in a greased 4-qt. baking dish; top with mixed
- vegetables and beef mixture. Combine tomato paste and water; pour
- over meat. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20 minutes or until heated through.
- Yield: 12 servings.
Cook the elbow macaroni for Hamburger Noodle Bake ahead of time. Rinse with cold water and drain. Toss with a little vegetable oil to prevent sticking and refrigerate in a resealable plastic bag.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 205 calories,